CUMBRIA'S MILITARY MUSEUM
THE MUSEUM OF THE BORDER AND KING'S OWN ROYAL BORDER REGIMENTS
The Museum home to the Border Regiment and King's Own Royal Border Regiment is based in Queen Mary’s Tower a 16th Century building in the Inner Ward of Carlisle Castle.
Carlisle Castle is a magnificent medieval fortress founded in 1092 to defend the City of Carlisle and western end of the Anglo-Scottish Border. Within its walls are the military barracks and buildings dating from the 18th century and which from 1873 to 1959 formed the Regimental Depot of The Border Regiment. This military presence has continued with the Regimental HQ of The King’s Own Royal Border Regiment (since 2006 the CountyHQ of the Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment), a Platoon of the Regiment’s TA unit and the HQ of Cumbria Army Cadet Force located here.
The Castle is a Crown site and ancient monument in the guardianship of English Heritage and is open to the public. The regimental Museum, which is part of the visitor attraction was founded in 1932 and has been located in its present building since 1973.
The Museum is Independent and a Registered Charitable Trust (Charity No. 271943). It is also a Registered and acredited Museum under the Museums, Libraries and Archives Registration Scheme (No. 435). Make a Donation (Re-directs you to another site)